First off, make the roasted tomato sauce if you have time. Here is the middle of the sauce making with the pureed roasted tomatos after I tossed in some garlic, basil... mmmm!
Spinach and 5 cheese lasagna roll-ups with roasted tomato sauce recipe Makes 12 rollups total or 6 servings of 2 rollups each
) or bottled/canned tomato/spaghetti sauce if your short on time
-12 cooked lasagna pasta strips (use gluten free pasta to make it gluten free!)
-2.5 cups or 750g of frozen chopped spinach, defrosted and well drained (squeeze all the water out!)
-1 small pkg or 250mL of cream cheese
-1Tablespoon granulated garlic powder
-1/2 cup parmesan cheese
-3 cups shredded cheese: 1 cup mozzarella, 1 cup cheddar, 1 cup Monterey Jack
-one onion finely diced (about 1 cup)
-1 teaspoon olive oil
1) Preheat oven to 375F
2) Cook lasagna pasta according to directions. While pasta cooking, carmalize onion in a frying pan over med heat and 1 tsp olive oil and cook for about 5 min. Set aside.
3) Squish as much liquid as you can from spinach. In a large bowl, cream into the spinach in this order: cream cheese, 2 cups of shredded cheese, parm cheese and cooked onions.
4) Divide spinach mixture between all the lasagna strips, rolling them up one at a time. Lay seam side down in a medium large baking pan (big enuf to hold all 12 roll-ups snugly. and dump tomato sauce all over to cover.
5) Sprinkle with 1/2 cup cheese. (save the last 1/2 cup!) and bake for 20min.
6) Add last 1/2 cup of cheese and bake for 10min more. Dividing up the cheese leaves you with ooey gooey cheese top instead of a crispy solid crust. Enjoy!!
Slow roasted tomato sauce recipe
-12 ripe hothouse tomatos
-1 Tablespoon granulated garlic powder
-1tsp dried basil or 5-6 finely chopped leaves of fresh basil
-1/2 tsp dried oregano or a leaf of the fresh
-1Tablespoon 2x or 3x concentrated Italian tomato paste (optional but adds sooo much tomato flavour!)
-3 cloves finely chopped garlic
1) Preheat oven to 325F.
2)Cut ripe tomatoes (12 fist size tomatos makes about 2 cups of tomato sauce later) in half, spray with olive oil
3) Lay cut side up on foil or parchment lined cookie pan and roast for 30-40min until the edges crisp up nicely.
4) Cool and squish out all the interior. Discard the skins. You can freeze all the lovely roasted tomatos at this point, or continue on to make sauce!
5) Blenderize with a hand blender to loosen it up
6) Mix in remaining ingredients, season with salt and pepper to taste.. simmer gently on low heat for 10-20min for the flavors to meld